In the Still of the Night

This is an older writing that I wrote a couple of years ago. I found it today and thought I would share it with you-enjoy! I did have to condense it a little, becasue as some of you know-I like to talk:)

God says, "Be quiet and know that I am God. I will be supreme over all the nations. I will be supreme in the earth." Psalm 46:10

How many of you enjoy talking? Now, I am not just referring to chatting casually with a friend on the phone or even having a heart to heart with a loved one. I am wondering who really enjoys just being able to talk? I know that if talking were a sport I would posses several gold medals! My sister got the curly hair gene and I got the "gift for gab" gene. I enjoy talking, I really do. My mom says that I would get home from school, come in the door talking and I wouldn't stop until I went to sleep at night! Whew! I now have one of those "talkers" in my own house and let me tell you-my ears need a rest after he goes to bed!
The ability to talk is an amazing gift from God. However, an even more amazing gift is the ability to be still and listen to God. The first part of Psalm 46:10 says, "Be quiet.." I think that sometimes that is God telling me to shut up, in Christian love. Just stop and think a moment about how much talking you do on a daily basis. I read somewhere that the average person says approximately 10,000 words a day! WOW! Can you imagine than how many words an above average talker like me is saying? All day long we talk, talk, and talk. Like my mother, God probably can't wait for some of us to go to bed, so that He can get some peace and quiet! Now, don't get me wrong, I know that God loves to hear the voices of His children. Do you ever find yourself praying and realize that you aren't really saying anything? For example, "Dear God, Thank you for this day and thank you for my family and friends, and did I mention this beautiful day, it was so sunny, but not too sunny, in fact it was just the right amount of sunlight, not too bright, not too hot"....then a booming voice interrupts you-"BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD-WITH A HEADACHE!!!" Well, maybe not with a headache, but who knows? I think that as Christians we feel that our alone time with God needs to be filled with us talking to Him. We think we always need to be saying something, but we don't. Be still and let Him speak to you.
Just because you stop talking, doesn't mean God stops caring. In fact, it is the lull in the conversation He has been waiting for. So, the next time you sit down to have a chat with God...don't. Just be still and know that you are in the presence of the one whose action of giving the ultimate sacrifice of His son's life for our salvation speaks louder that any words you could ever possibly have to say.
Blessings-Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Speaks because He Speaks

G-R-A-C-E

The Goodness of God