"You say yes, I say no......"

Whew! I feel like I have just run a marathon, and I don't run! It has been a busy weekend and start of my week. I can't believe we are to the middle of September already-time seems to be going by faster and faster. I think it has something to do with me getting older?! I did say that this blog would be more about the trials and tribulations of parenting a defiant child, so here goes! We have a No jar-this sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? But this jar is a way for my daughter to earn a bead for everytime she reponds appropriately to the word No . No does not mean never-is what I have to respond with, because she lives in a very black and white world. Yes to her means, well, yes it is going to happen. No, however, means NO WAY, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, IMPOSSIBLE! Even if I say, "No, not right now." It is really a fine line that she walks between to two words. So, after 10 beads she gets to pick something from the "prize bag"-aka. Dollar Tree items. Things are going pretty well, she has 4 beads in one week. It is very difficult and I even see the struggle she has in fighting off the urge to throw a fit when she is told no. Poor thing, what a tough battle! To help ease some of that frustration I decided that I am going to pick one Saturday a month and call it a YES DAY. I will try my best to say yes to every request, within reason. Yes, you can have ice cream for breakfast, yes you can wear your dance outfit as clothes today, etc.... I really think this will be a break for both of us to have a totally positive day! As children, and adults it is difficult to hear the word no, every time we turn around. Sometimes God has to say no to His children too. Recently I received a no about something I was really hoping to hear a yes about, but I know that God must have other plans for me. It is a lesson that wil be worth learning in the long run, I am sure of that. The one thing that God says yes to all of the time is, "My grace is enough through my son Jesus Christ!" In Ephesians 4:7 it says, "Christ gave each one of us the special gift of grace, showing how generous he is." I hope that you show someone in your life grace and generosity today! When you have difficulty in your parenting I encourage you to seek your heavenly father and ask him for guidance and wisdom.
Blessings-Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Speaks because He Speaks

G-R-A-C-E

The Goodness of God